The Palazzo Scaligero sits on the south side of the Piazza Maggiore. The façade of the palace, whose original stylistic characteristics date from the late Middle Ages, underwent restoration in 1897.
The palazzo became the seat of the community del Gabinetto di Lettura, founded during Austrian domination in 1848. Since then, it has housed an important library and a collection of manuscripts and publications about the history of Este and its surrounding area, which today includes over fifty-thousand volumes. One of the halls on the piano nobile contains four paintings by Antonio Zanchi: Angel Raffaele and Tobiolo, Samson fighting with a lion, San Giovanni Battista and San Sebastiano.